Duelist's Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homebattle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)

Go down 
+2
Quincy99
Nivedo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nivedo

Nivedo

battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) Empty
PostSubject: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:11 pm

you have 1 monster, you attack with it, after the attack, is it possible to activate a card like call of the haunted, or photon lead? or would the battle phase end right away before anything can be activated? i want to find out the answer to this question to know if i was in the right when i was dueling someone or if i was completely wrong.

the complete scenario was he attacked with his monster, and after his monster did damage, he activated call of the haunted, i told him he cant do that, and i tried to explain it to him. granted i was going to lose either way, but hey if i can educate someone then great.

anyways, after all monsters attack, can a spell/trap be activated to bring out a monster and have that monster attack as well
Back to top Go down
Quincy99

Quincy99

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Yes, what he did was legal. just like all phases until he announces the end of his battle phase, he can activate cards like call/lead
Back to top Go down
Nivedo

Nivedo

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:34 pm

doesn't matter who wrote:
The Battle Phase goes like this:

Damage Step: "Before damage calculation" cards and effects can be activated. Damage Calculation is applied. "After damage calculation" cards and effects can be activated in addition to a select few types of cards. At the end of the Damage Step, the Monster Card(s) destroyed as a result of battle are sent to the Graveyard, unless a card effect specifies that they go elsewhere.
End Step: When you declare the end of the Battle Phase. You must enter this phase if there are no more attacks possible. If there are, you can enter this phase ignoring the chance to continue attacking.

this is just from another recent post, and this is what i was told, can you give me a link to the information over what you just told me so that i can have it for future reference
Back to top Go down
TheWiseman

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:37 pm

TheWiseman wrote:

Start Step: Declaring you're entering Battle Phase. Cards and effects can be activated now.
Battle Step: When you declare an attack, you enter the Battle Step. After the attack is declared, cards and effects can be activated.
Damage Step: "Before damage calculation" cards and effects can be activated. Damage Calculation is applied. "After damage calculation" cards and effects can be activated in addition to a select few types of cards. At the end of the Damage Step, the Monster Card(s) destroyed as a result of battle are sent to the Graveyard, unless a card effect specifies that they go elsewhere.
End Step: When you declare the end of the Battle Phase. You must enter this phase if there are no more attacks possible. If there are, you can enter this phase ignoring the chance to continue attacking.

A series of attacks in a battle phase consist of only a repetition of the Battle Step and Damage Step. If you have no other monster to attack with you must enter the End Step from the Damage Step.

You can activate cards/effects in the Start Step, Battle Step, and End Step. During the Damage Step, the only cards/effects you can activate are the following:

• Counter Trap Cards ("Solemn Judgment", "Dark Bribe").
  • Normal Trap Cards, Continuous Trap Cards, Quick-Play Spell Cards, and Quick Effect Monster Cards that alter the ATK and/or DEF of one or more monsters on the field ("Blast with Chain", "Rush Recklessly", "Castle Walls", "Reinforcements", "Shrink", "Honest"). The card must DIRECTLY affect ATK/DEF to be valid; you cannot activate Scapegoat during the Damage Step even if you control United We Stand, for example, because Scapegoat does not directly change the ATK/DEF on any monsters.
  • Mandatory Trigger Effects ("King Tiger Wanghu").
  • Flip Monster Effects (which are mandatory by nature) ("Cyber Jar").
  • Quick Effect Monster Cards that negate the activation of other cards or effects ("Herald of Perfection, "Horus the Black Flame Dragon LV8").
  • Any card whose text specifically says it may be activated during the Damage Step ("Nutrient Z", "Kuriboh").
  • Cards that do not meet the activation criteria, but whom Konami/UDE have stated may be activated in the Damage Step ("Null and Void").

If you attack and the Damage Step is entered, you cannot activate anything that is not in the above list unless you either enter a new Battle Step or the End Step.

EDIT: My sources are:

http: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_step
http: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Breakdown_of_the_Battle_Phase
Back to top Go down
Nivedo

Nivedo

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:43 pm

well i used CTRL+F for the part where it says "if you have no monsters to attack with you must enter the End Step" so i think you paraphrased or just didn't say where you got that bit of info. and so far each time quincy has answered a question of mine it has turned out to be correct. so until you can show me where you got that one bit of info from i will have to go by his word.

that is of course if johnboi comes in and says otherwise
Back to top Go down
Magicknight94

Magicknight94

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:55 pm

After Damage Step, you return to Battle Step, then you enter End Step.

So you can active COTH in Battle Step.
Back to top Go down
Nivedo

Nivedo

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:56 pm

just curious magicknight do you have an account on here other than this one? or have you just not been tested yet?
Back to top Go down
Magicknight94

Magicknight94

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 5:59 pm

This is my only account.
Back to top Go down
TheWiseman

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:33 pm

According to the Breakdown link I provided:

At the end of Damage Step says: "If you have another monster on the field, once you have completed the Damage Step you can go back to Battle Step and declare a new attack. Note even if you have several monsters and you opponent has an open field, each monster must complete the entire process before another monster can declare another attack. Each attack is individual. Only one at a time must be declared and resolved."

The OCG and TCG differ this way:

• In OCG if both players pass priority in the Start Step, you move to Battle Step regardless if you're attacking or not. You can activate an effect before you can declare an attack.
  • In the TCG, you would move directly from Start Step to End Step if you decide not to declare an attack. In the TCG, you must declare an attack and then you can activate effects.
Back to top Go down
j0hnb0i
Admin
Admin
j0hnb0i

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:50 pm

there's nothing forcing you to switch phases. you switch when both players agree to switch. now i'm not saying you can stay in a phase and stall the game, but i think you get my point. haha

and yea everyone else pretty much said it all so let me know when i can lock this
Back to top Go down
Nivedo

Nivedo

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:58 pm

stuff in the spoiler is just in case wiseman wants to PM me
Spoiler:

but other than that it seems a bit one sided and majority agrees on the scenario being a legal play, so lock it up farao
Back to top Go down
j0hnb0i
Admin
Admin
j0hnb0i

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:02 pm

actually now that you mention it i don't really remember hearing anything about only being able to activate cards after declaring an attack

sauce pl0x
Back to top Go down
TheWiseman

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:06 pm

That is IF you have another monster on the field after the Damage Step.

Otherwise the only effects remaining you can activate in the Damage Step are the ones listed in my other post above.

In either case. I give up trying to convince you if this doesn't do it.

battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) Source10
Back to top Go down
j0hnb0i
Admin
Admin
j0hnb0i

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:12 pm

oh never mind. when you said,
TheWiseman wrote:
In the TCG, you must declare an attack and then you can activate effects
i thought you meant that you can only activate spells and traps after an attack haha. disregard my last post =b

Back to top Go down
TheWiseman

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 7:30 pm

No, what I meant was this in summary:

You can activate spell/traps/effects at any time during the Battle Phase. However, during the Damage Step only certain ones may be activated. And according to the image, you cannot return to the Battle Step unless you have another Attacker.

You can activate Call of the Haunted before the Damage Step, however what started this was this:

Somebody thought that you can use Photon Lead to summon a monster brought to your hand during the Damage Step by Wattcobra's effect and then attack with it. However, this only is true if you have another attacker allowing you to return to the Battle Step. This is because Photon Lead cannot be activated during the Damage Step and it can in the Battle Step. Otherwise you would have to wait until at least the End Step of the Battle Phase to activate Photon Lead meaning you cannot attack with the Summoned monster.
Back to top Go down
LegendaryFrost

LegendaryFrost

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 4:14 am

If u attack with one monster while u have no other monsters u can use quick-plays like photon lead swallow's nest(which u can't use in damage step, but can use after the damage step has ended for said monster). If you add a card to hand with w/e watt monster after everything has resolved you are still technically in the battle phase. So you could use photon lead to summon a monster. Regardless of when it was added to the hand, the battle phase hasn't ended, so u may use traps and Quick-play spells and monster effects. That being said, you could use CotH, or swallow's nest, or Photon lead, or any card that meets the conditions.
Back to top Go down
Nivedo

Nivedo

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 5:19 am

TheWiseman wrote:

Start Step: Declaring you're entering Battle Phase. Cards and effects can be activated now.
Battle Step: When you declare an attack, you enter the Battle Step. After the attack is declared, cards and effects can be activated.

A series of attacks in a battle phase consist of only a repetition of the Battle Step and Damage Step. If you have no other monster to attack with you must enter the End Step from the Damage Step.

the bold part is the part that i am questioning.
not whether or not you can activate it during the damage step, which i know you can't. at the end of my post i simplified everything and put it down to the basic question of after every monster attacks, can you still activate spells or traps within the battle phase.
Back to top Go down
TheWiseman

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 7:23 am

And my question is, how would you be able to do so if, without remaining attackers, you cannot return to the Battle Step from the Damage Step? In what step of the Battle Phase do you think you would be able to? At least that's the way it is in the TCG. In the OCG, yes you could. Because in the OCG it's from the Battle Step that you proceed to the End Step. In the TCG it isn't. That's what I was trying to convey.
Back to top Go down
Nivedo

Nivedo

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 7:24 am

and what i am trying to ask right now is where you found the bolded part, cuz i found that line of text no where
Back to top Go down
TheWiseman

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 7:32 am

It's an inference from that picture I took of the wikia. It says "If you have another monster, you can return to the Battle Step to declare another attack." In other words, if you have no other monsters, you proceed to the End Step.
Back to top Go down
Nivedo

Nivedo

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 7:46 am

but what it is saying there is if you have another monster you can go to the battle step AND declare a new attack. it is one full phrase. if it were to just say you can go to the battle step. then i would agree with you without hesitation, but there isnt even a comma to separate the two actions of going to the battle step and declaring a new attack.

and right now according to what the others have said, seem more logical in the sense that both players agree to go on to the next step. most of the time we dont do that because you can tell alot of the time if the person has any objections to you moving on or not. but all of that aside i will trust johnboi's opinion on the matter since from what i remember he is an actual judge irl. if that is wrong then he is the closest thing to a judge on this forum
Back to top Go down
j0hnb0i
Admin
Admin
j0hnb0i

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 8:03 am

i'm not gonna lie, wiesman, you had me confused for a second. but upon further research and logical recollections of my past duels and judging experience, i'm positive that you can indeed activate photon lead/call of the haunted etc. during the battle phase, after one of you monsters attacks.

i'll go back to my previous post and repeat that the phases don't start or end unless both players agree to start or end a phase. the game state does not check to see if you have monsters left to attack with and force you to go on to end the battle phase. it will end when the Turn Player wants to end it and the Non-turn Player agrees to also end it.
Wiki Page wrote:
If you have another monster on the field, once you have completed the Damage Step you can go back to Battle Step and declare a new attack.
this is only referring to entering the Battle Step. nothing in here says that you have to end the battle phase because you don't have another monster to attack with. after an attack and damage step are completed it is still the Battle Phase. nothing in the rulebook says that when you're in the Battle Phase you have to enter the battle step or else you have to move to the next phase. it just says that to go to the battle step you need a monster to be present.

that's what i've concluded from my experience anyway.

sorry if tl;dr
Back to top Go down
LegendaryFrost

LegendaryFrost

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 8:05 am

TheWiseman wrote:
It's an inference from that picture I took of the wikia. It says "If you have another monster, you can return to the Battle Step to declare another attack."In other words, if you have no other monsters, you proceed to the End Step.

Like any text in ygo the word's "you gan" mean that it's optional, you don't HAVE to go to end phase if ur only monster has alread attacked and ended it's damage step.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)   battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase) Empty

Back to top Go down

battle phase question(specifically, end of the battle phase)
Page 1 of 1