Duelist's Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeA Primer On Evolution - Part I I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Primer On Evolution - Part I

Go down 
4 posters

On a scale of 1-5, how much would you like to see a continuation of this article?
A Primer On Evolution - Part I I_vote_lcap0%A Primer On Evolution - Part I I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
A Primer On Evolution - Part I I_vote_lcap0%A Primer On Evolution - Part I I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
A Primer On Evolution - Part I I_vote_lcap20%A Primer On Evolution - Part I I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
A Primer On Evolution - Part I I_vote_lcap60%A Primer On Evolution - Part I I_vote_rcap
 60% [ 3 ]
A Primer On Evolution - Part I I_vote_lcap20%A Primer On Evolution - Part I I_vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
NotSoGallantGallade
Absol
Absol
NotSoGallantGallade

A Primer On Evolution - Part I Empty
PostSubject: A Primer On Evolution - Part I   A Primer On Evolution - Part I EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 3:26 pm

Back again with a deck profile is everyone's favorite DGA mod not named VioletSk227, NotSoGallantGallade~

Last time, I wrote to all of you about the very anti-meta Rock Stun, and in a way I'll be continuing the trend of control decks with this article. If you couldn't guess from the title, I'm gonna be profiling some Dinos, but not ones that align themselves with cellphone-carrying rodents. No, these are Evols I'm looking at here, the archetype that created the behemoths known as Laggia, Dolkka and Solda. Or, alternatively, "Annoying."

With the new format looming and the Big Three (Dino Rabbit, Wind-Ups and Inzektors) seemingly poised to dominate everything, people are ragequitting the game like no other time after a banlist, and some think there's no hope until September, when Konami presumably rains down some restrictions on the decks. Well, I think that come May, there'll be a very solid answer to those decks, and to Dino Rabbit, it's fighting fire with fire... literally.

First, let's look at the good and the bad (not the ugly, there isn't one here Cool ) of the deck.

+
-Evolzars. 'Nuff said.
-Ability to control the game from turn 1 is top-tier.
-Several monsters with high ATK/DEF in the main deck
-Instant Xyz'ing
-If you jump on the bandwagon now, you'll still be pretty hipster.
-Other than some Extra Deck cards, the deck is very budget-friendly right now.
-Nobody expects them very much.

-
-If your Xyz play is countered, it can definitely be hard to recover.
-2600+ monsters are difficult to deal with without techs (which is why I run Mole).
-Drawing into Evolsaurs can suck.
-Hasn't gotten full TCG support yet.

I'm sure Laggia would much rather hang with his cousins than a rabbit and some distant, bland (as in Normal Wink ) relatives, so... yeah. I dunno, maybe if you believe in karma that's a plus. Anyways, on to a sample decklist, the one I'm running with at the time I post this article. Cards listed under the image mirror the order in which they appear:
Spoiler:

Now, there are a lot of things going on in this deck, so I'm just going to go through basic key cards, plus a combo or two to get started. In another article, depending on how the poll goes, I may expand further on these lovable creatures.

First of all, let's focus on a pair of GAOV cards.

Quote :
A Primer On Evolution - Part I Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFFPVQZ2CsWnXmkSX-5P0FdG8yB4lW2mEUzwZpPt2REzf349pIgwJmwrVO

Diverse Evolution
Spell / Normal
Add 1 "Evoltile" or "Evolsaur" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 "Diverse Evolution" per turn.
Hells yeah, Evols are getting a ROTA. This has two main uses:
1. Bringing an Evoltile to your hand to set up a play by way of Lagosuchus, Najasho, etc.
2. Bringing an Evolsaur to hand to set up a play by way of Odonto or Elias.
Usually, it'll be the first option, but either way, this card adds so much consistency to the deck, it's... well, actually, it's pretty funny when you win. It'll basically be an automatic 3 in your deck after it's released.

Quote :
A Primer On Evolution - Part I Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQl-WD6pviuIfO2aa2h2XOVWFKYZ61GlPE8c9Ej5_04uNSCeY5f4tNOXq0oA

Evoltile Lagosuchus
Fire / Level 3
Reptile / Effect
1200 ATK / 500 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can send 1 "Evolsaur" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. When this card is flipped face-up: You can Special Summon 1 "Evoltile" monster from your Deck.
Yep, they get a Foolish Burial too, or an easy way to get to Westlos or Najashos. Likely the best use for his effect is sending an Evolsaur to the grave, then SS'ing Evolsaur Vulcano with an Evoltile or Evo-Force to revive the 'Saur and overlay for Rank 4. His overall utility is why he's a great one-of in the deck once he's set loose upon the TCG.

---

Now, obviously you're not getting these cards for a few months, but fear not! The deck is potent for sure right now, as Michael Smith-Grant proved with his top 32 finish at YCS Atlanta with Evols. It mainly boils down to two Evoltiles in particular, Westlo and Najasho, the latter a TCG exclusive.

Quote :
A Primer On Evolution - Part I 9417

Evoltile Westlo
Fire / Level 3
Reptile / Effect
700 ATK / 1900 DEF
FLIP: Special Summon 1 "Evolsaur" monster from your Deck.
Just looking at his DEF, you can tell that he can stick around if he wants to. Thunder King? HA!
He's also a Level 3, which is compatible with himself or Lagosuchus for a Zenmaines or other Rank 3 Xyz, or for level boosting via Darwinos into a Rank 5.

Obviously though, we want him for the effect. Attack into him, or leave him on the field for a turn untouched, and you get a free Evolsaur out of it. Go into Vulcano late-game for an instant Xyz, grab Elias when you have one in hand for instant Solda/Exa-Beetle/etc, or whatever the situation calls for, go Darwinos for Rank 5 or whatever you need, there are a slew of options. That's the wonder of Evols: they're almost as toolboxy as Glads.

Quote :
A Primer On Evolution - Part I 512KDsUMjYL._SL500_AA300_

Evoltile Najasho
Fire / Level 2
Reptile / Effect
100 ATK / 2000 DEF
If this card on the field is Tributed: You can Special Summon 1 "Evolsaur" monster from your Deck.
I do believe that this TCG exclusive is the best monster Evols main-deck. His effect is just so abusable, in so many easy ways... he wins games, simple as that.

First off, consider this quite basic move: Your opponent controls a Number 39: Utopia and a Stratos. Set Najasho, activate Enemy Controller to snag Utopia, then SS Evolsaur Cerato by Najasho's effect. Now overlay Utopia Ray from your Extra Deck onto Utopia, destroy Stratos in battle with Cerato, and fish out another Evoltile, then swing with Utopia. Congratulations, you just netted a load of advantage thanks to Najasho and a Spell staple in Evols.

Let's move on now to the real fun: Najasho plus Evo-Force:
Quote :
A Primer On Evolution - Part I 9618

Evo-Force
Spell / Normal
Tribute 1 "Evoltile" monster; Special Summon 1 "Evolsaur" monster from your Deck. It is treated as if it was Special Summoned by the effect of an "Evoltile" monster.
You already see where this is going, don't you?

Scenario 1: Your opponent has two backrow cards.
-Set Najasho, activate Evo-Force and tribute him.
-Special Summon two Evolsaur Diplo, first from Evo-Force then by Najasho.
-Use Diplos' effects to pop both their backrow cards.
-Xyz into your Rank 4 of choice, and beat face.

Scenario 2: You have two Level 4 Evolsaurs in your grave.
-Set Najasho, activate Evo-Force, bring out two Evolsaur Vulcanos.
-Use their effects to revive the Ceratos.
-Xyz all of them for 2 Rank 4's, probably Laggia and Dolkka.

There are a lot of different ways you can go about this, too. Go into Diplo for extra MST power, Vulcano for recycling fun, or Cerato and his then-2100 ATK to run over things, plus off of that, then maybe Xyz. Heck, go into two Elias and overlay for Solda, if that's what works best.

---

By this point, you know the strategies of Evols and what makes them so good: they use the Evoltiles as a stepping stone for the big guns, then plus off of that either through their effects or the Xyz's, and essentially just aim to keep control the whole game through these plays. If you're not convinced of their effectiveness, well, this wasn't a persuasive article anyways. But whether you're a fan or not, it's hard to deny that they have serious potential.

Anyways, I have one last thing to show you all for the time being: the misleadingly named Zenmaister loop. All you need is a Set Westlo and an Evolsaur in hand.

-Say your opponent's Tengu attacks Westlo. You flip, SS Cerato, they pass.
-On your turn, swing with Cerato if you can (and bring a Westlo to hand), then normal summon an Evolsaur and overlay into Wind-Up Zenmaister.
-Use Zenmaister's effect to detach a monster and flip Westlo face-down. Since you didn't change Westlo's position, subsequently flip him back up and SS Vulcano.
-Use Vulcano's effect to SS Cerato, then Xyz into Laggia or whatever.
-If your field doesn't change next turn, do it again and have more Xyz happiness. Heck, you can even normal summon Westlo after all that and go into Zenmaines, Giga Brilli-Ant, etc.

---

March 2012's format is shaping up to be one filled with controversy and carnage, if the pre-format chatter has anything to say about it. Many expect Dino Rabbit, Wind-Ups and Inzektors to wreck the rest of the field for months, and many others aren't even going to take part in all that, too disgusted by the banlist to play competitively. It's not as if there's no hope, though: Six Sams and T.G. have won the last two YCS's, players who do stay in the game will shift their attentions to stopping the Big Three in one way or another, and a new set hits the TCG in early May. With it will come just what Evols need to hit the big time for real, and I know I'll be there to join that action.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for the next installment of this probable series. NotSoGallantGallade the Absol, out. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://ffgtfgtr.deviantart.com
Snilly

Snilly

PostSubject: Re: A Primer On Evolution - Part I   A Primer On Evolution - Part I EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 4:29 pm

No love for the other evolzar xyz? I mean you might as well put in one or two because of that level 6 evol.
Back to top Go down
Dukemon

Dukemon

PostSubject: Re: A Primer On Evolution - Part I   A Primer On Evolution - Part I EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 pm

Nice, i think i'll get down so i can be a hipster.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/shane.weston
Scorpion67
Drunken Master
Drunken Master
Scorpion67

PostSubject: Re: A Primer On Evolution - Part I   A Primer On Evolution - Part I EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 4:35 pm

Those dinos are GB's on Crack !!!

GJ Gallade, Nice Article Wink
Back to top Go down
Snilly

Snilly

PostSubject: Re: A Primer On Evolution - Part I   A Primer On Evolution - Part I EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Too busy making narch deck irl. I am tew hipster because I'm making a low tier deck. Also, how often do you draw into your combos or get to pull them off?
Back to top Go down
NotSoGallantGallade
Absol
Absol
NotSoGallantGallade

PostSubject: Re: A Primer On Evolution - Part I   A Primer On Evolution - Part I EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Snilly wrote:
No love for the other evolzar xyz? I mean you might as well put in one or two because of that level 6 evol.
You apparently didn't notice I run two Evolsaur Elias for Solda capabilities. Actually, he's how I just won a rated duel. Was playing a Fortune Lady deck, he had Ancient Forest on the field, so I went into Solda and trolled him from there.

Sir Alex Lucard wrote:
Nice, i think i'll get down so i can be a hipster.
Spoiler:

Scorpion67 wrote:
Those dinos are GB's on Crack !!!

GJ Gallade, Nice Article Wink
Thanks Senor Scorpy. I never did like Glads, but these guys are cooler and more badass, so I'm down with using them this format for sure.

Snilly wrote:
Too busy making narch deck irl. I am tew hipster because I'm making a low tier deck. Also, how often do you draw into your combos or get to pull them off?
There are a few times where I'll draw into a Vulcano when I really need an Evo-Force or something, but I pretty much get a chance to go into Xyz amazingness at least once a game. It's just a matter of reading and making sure you can do it in a spot where they won't be able to deny you.

Seriously, having a Laggia play Warning'd, leaving you with much less resources in hand sucks. So it's a "choose your battles wisely" affair. However, if you get that Laggia out you can basically just go bat$h!t crazy from there. Especially if you do something like the Zenmaister combo. Cool
Back to top Go down
Snilly

Snilly

PostSubject: Re: A Primer On Evolution - Part I   A Primer On Evolution - Part I EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:39 am

NotSoGallantGallade wrote:
Snilly wrote:
You apparently didn't notice I run two Evolsaur Elias for Solda capabilities. Actually, he's how I just won a rated duel. Was playing a Fortune Lady deck, he had Ancient Forest on the field, so I went into Solda and trolled him from there.

I didn't see that you had solda way towards the end of your extra xD I thought it would be next to the other evolzars. Wow that must have sucked for the fortune lady. Razz

If you want a video to use in your article of Mike who topped 32 with evol's here's a deck profile from yah boi prowinston.

Back to top Go down
NotSoGallantGallade
Absol
Absol
NotSoGallantGallade

PostSubject: Re: A Primer On Evolution - Part I   A Primer On Evolution - Part I EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:13 am

Alternatively, I could use this vid actually interviewing Michael Smith-Grant himself:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Primer On Evolution - Part I   A Primer On Evolution - Part I Empty

Back to top Go down

A Primer On Evolution - Part I
Page 1 of 1