Duelist's Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGachi + Poseidon = This? I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gachi + Poseidon = This?

Go down 
+7
Harper7000
TheRuler
j0hnb0i
SirFunchalot
Vongola-x
LegendaryFrost
NotSoGallantGallade
11 posters
AuthorMessage
NotSoGallantGallade
Absol
Absol
NotSoGallantGallade

Gachi + Poseidon = This? Empty
PostSubject: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 pm

Yay, an article. Yay, I wrote it. Yay, it (hopefully) doesn't suck.

Anyways.

So, what did you get from however many packs you got for Generation Force? Maybe you pulled a Tiras, like I did on my first time. Or maybe you pulled crap like Bright Future, like I did twice after that. You know, aim for a Roach or Leviair but end up with Star Changer. We've all been there.

Well, I advise you to take out that dusty shoebox into which you shoved those cards and see if you've got this guy: Sea Lancer. You may have seen him, overlooked him, actually know what he can do, but whatever the case is, I'mma talk about him.

Gachi + Poseidon = This? GENF-EN081

Sea Lancer
Spoiler:

So wait, Gal, you're talking about a 1300 ATK tribute monster?

Why yes, imaginary reader, I am. And for the record, he reaches 2300 ATK with his effect, 2700 with a Gachi on the field (which, in his deck, is not hard at all).

See, if you read carefully, you'd see that he's almost like an ATK-oriented, Main Deck version of Gachi Gachi Gantetsu. However, there are some key differences.

-Lancer can have anywhere from 1 to 5 cards equipped to him.
-Unless you're using Umi (or a battle searcher), you gotta tribute a monster to get him out.
-Instead of Level 2's, he grabs Fish/SS/Aquas. However, the irony is that these will usually end up being Level 2's... read on.

Those who know me know I run a deck that has this Water-type right at the core, and for good reason. This card has advantage written all over it if you know how to use it, and luckily, it's so cheap that writing all over it barely decreases the value. Razz

Firstly, how do we get him out? The best cards for this are Swap Frog and Ronintoadin.

I don't even have to say anything for you to know how Swap Frog works. He dumps more than a garbageman on trash day, and that's just what we want for Lancer. He also sets the stage for the next cog to start turning: Ronin.

Ronintoadin
Spoiler:

His job is simple, and yet absolutely perfect. Not only does he come out a la Treeborn for tribute purposes, but he also banishes a card that Lancer can then equip once he comes out. And since Lancer's equips go to the grave when they've been used, Ronin can reuse them again and again for Lancer's and other tribute monsters' sakes. Konami couldn't have made a card more tailor-made for Sea Lancer if they tried.

However, there's another option that gets him out easy: Mother Grizzly.

That's right, the Mystic Tomato/Giant Rat of Water monsters. Because Sea Lancer has only 1300 base ATK, he can get Special Summoned by Grizzly's effect should she be destroyed by battle.

This same concept is also what allows Sea Lancer to be brought back to the hand by Salvage, and lets him slip under Bottomless Trap Hole. Which is pretty friggin' awesome if you ask me.

So next, how can we gain advantage off this card? I have two ways, in the forms of cards, to answer that query. Firstly, one of our favorite Frogs, Dupe Frog.

Dupe Frog
Spoiler:

Basically, it's a searcher. You know that. You can read.
Did you know, though, that if you "detach" this card for Lancer's effect, you get its search?
That's right, not only does Lancer stay on the field if your opponent, say, attacks over it with a Synchro, but you plus off it, possibly adding something like Swap Frog to your hand to help set up bigger plays ahead. It's simple, but it works oh so well.

The other amphibian Sea Lancer loves is one that everyone's forgotten about... Poison Draw Frog.

Poison Draw Frog
Spoiler:

You can see where I'm going here. Lancer's supposed to get destroyed, you detach, you get a free draw off it. If your opponent Heavy Storms the field, you get a draw, or DRAWS if you have multiples attached to Lancer.

Tell me that isn't just awesome.

There's more, too. Much more.

What if Lancer goes up against that being we know as Catastor? Well, as long as he's got multiple cards equipped to him, Lancer can detach one (and probably plus) to stay on the field, and then PROCEED TO DAMAGE CALCULATION.

In other words, this card kills Catastor if it can stay at 2300 ATK. And it's Water.

How about Compulsory Evacuation Device? Lancer gets bounced... but the equips get their effects! Same thing goes for Trishula as well, fantastically enough.

I must say, though, that there are ways around Lancer and his backrow. Cards like Judgment Dragon and Black Rose don't trigger the draws/search, and because PDF/Dupe can miss the timing, things such as Lancer being tributed, Synchro'd with, or bounced to the hand by Swap Frog won't get you the equips' effects.

All in all, though, this card is underrated as all get out. A Swap Frog can easily set up for him by dumping PDF's and Ronintoadin in the Grave, and all that fodder means old pals like Caius and LADD can easily assimilate themselves in this new environment. With the Frogs being Level 2, too, that means Gachi Gachi shenanigans on the same level as Agents, and a boost to Lancer that lets him suicide into Hyperion or Trishula and win, thanks to his effect.

In any case, this card is one that should not be overlooked next time you get a pack of GENF. It may cost less than a go at the Duel Terminal, but it can pack a serious punch if you utilize its advantages, both on the field and in replenishing your hand.

Thanks for reading my first article, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Also, if you want more information about a deck with this guy, go ahead and go here:
http://www.pojo.biz/board/showthread.php?t=1004113
And yes, I'm WMCannon there.

*shot for advertising the thread*

Last edited by NotSoGallantGallade on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ffgtfgtr.deviantart.com
LegendaryFrost

LegendaryFrost

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Nice article man Very Happy, though since I don't play irl I wouldn't know the value of GENF packs, but still this card shows some worth. Can easily become annnoying monster, late in the game if u have many RFG'd monsters that fit the effect. Only thing I can say is that the ATK is only 2300 which a monarch can run over, but then again if it stays it can help u in other ways, so it's a pretty good card. Not bad at all, nice work. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vongola-x
Owner
Owner
Vongola-x

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 12:24 pm

A guy in my locals plays lancer frogs... SO ANNOYING!!! Had to go up against him in the last top 8... won, but only because I sacked the hell out of him :/

Most annoying deck there is in my locals and we have sams and GK...
Back to top Go down
https://tdga.forumotion.com
NotSoGallantGallade
Absol
Absol
NotSoGallantGallade

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Vongola-x wrote:
A guy in my locals plays lancer frogs... SO ANNOYING!!! Had to go up against him in the last top 8... won, but only because I sacked the hell out of him :/

Most annoying deck there is in my locals and we have sams and GK...
Hells yeah, it's as if Frognarchs was a song and Lancer Frogs is a remix that kicks just as much ass as the original song. xD

LegendaryFrost wrote:
Nice article man Very Happy, though since I don't play irl I wouldn't know the value of GENF packs, but still this card shows some worth. Can easily become annnoying monster, late in the game if u have many RFG'd monsters that fit the effect. Only thing I can say is that the ATK is only 2300 which a monarch can run over, but then again if it stays it can help u in other ways, so it's a pretty good card. Not bad at all, nice work. Very Happy
Thanks man, I knew as soon as I wanted to do an article that this would be the subject, and it was fun going to town on it. Glad that it was worth the time to make it, and hopefully I can put together some more of this kind in the future. ^^

And with a Gachi next to him, Lancer laughs at Monarchs in the Battle phase. Wink

EDIT: Gonna make an edit about something I forgot.
Back to top Go down
SirFunchalot

SirFunchalot

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 2:55 pm

I just played 5 matches with this deck and lost every single one 0-2 (Plants, Dark World, Dark World, Recue Lagia, Agents)

It sounds good in theory but in practice this deck just cannot beat any of the good decks it's way too slow and combo dependent.
Back to top Go down
NotSoGallantGallade
Absol
Absol
NotSoGallantGallade

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 3:12 pm

SirFunchalot wrote:
I just played 5 matches with this deck and lost every single one 0-2 (Plants, Dark World, Dark World, Recue Lagia, Agents)

It sounds good in theory but in practice this deck just cannot beat any of the good decks it's way too slow and combo dependent.
I've actually met a quite good amount success with this deck, and I've beaten Dark World a couple times with it (I don't duel a ton, per se, so it's not like I can say I'm 10-2 against DW or something like that). I do have a little issue with consistency, but that's just a matter of not drawing into Swap early on. And it's not like there aren't other options. Trag, LADD, Caius, Vanity's Fiend/Ruler, etc. Whatever suits the bill. There's definitely not one specific way to run the deck.

Everyone has an opinion, of course; mine is just obviously a lot more positive about this than yours. xD
Back to top Go down
SirFunchalot

SirFunchalot

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 3:43 pm

I found it to be incredibly weak against big monsters. If you don't have creature swap/caius (provided they cant veiler) its really tough to deal with them since the key monster is relatively weak. I'm going to keep testing since i have a soft spot for water decks, maybe I was just unlucky.
Back to top Go down
j0hnb0i
Admin
Admin
j0hnb0i

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 9:54 pm

so this is the deck that i've heard so much about. sounds like win to me haha
Back to top Go down
TheRuler

TheRuler

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 4:00 am

good article (your first one? Very Happy), but I would've liked to see an example deck, when you're talking about a deck that not all use. If you would write about Tengu plants you wouldn't need lol xD if you know what I mean Wink
Back to top Go down
Harper7000
Chaosking
Chaosking
Harper7000

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 4:46 am

now i finally know what you're talking about xD. good article, but i would also like a decklist too though
Back to top Go down
SirFunchalot

SirFunchalot

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 4:52 am

**His decklist from the pojo link**

Monsters: 25

2x Caius the Shadow Monarch
3x Deep Sea Diva
2x Dupe Frog
1x Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
1x Light and Darkness Dragon
1x Lost Blue Breaker
2x Poison Draw Frog
3x Ronintoadin
1x Sangan
3x Sea Lancer
3x Swap Frog
2x Tragoedia
1x Treeborn Frog

Spells: 15

3x Creature Swap
1x Dark Hole
2x Enemy Controller
1x Gold Sarcophagus
1x Heavy Storm
1x Monster Reborn
2x Mystical Space Typhoon
1x Pot of Avarice
3x Salvage

Extra Deck: 15

3x Gachi Gachi Gantetsu
1x Armory Arm
1x Gungnir, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
1x Ally of Justice Decisive Armor
Staples
Back to top Go down
rjuto

rjuto

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 4:56 am

I really do like this deck. Recurrent Gantetsu is annoying, and the fact that lancer can both evade destruction and generate advantage while at it makes it a nice and fun deck to play.

Not to mention people will have to start thinking about something else when it comes to siding against Frogs.

I tested it already and beat a great amount of bullshit decks with it. It's really fun.
Back to top Go down
j0hnb0i
Admin
Admin
j0hnb0i

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 9:28 am

interested in a fenrir build. i've always wanted to use that card in a deck and this might be my chance to use it haha
Back to top Go down
BliTz

BliTz

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 9:48 am

deck is pretty fun

.. yea that's all i g2 say ^^
Back to top Go down
NotSoGallantGallade
Absol
Absol
NotSoGallantGallade

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 10:33 am

I was pondering having a sequel of sorts to this article detailing different ways to build a deck with him.

Or I could just edit the Op to have my deck. Razz

Back to top Go down
The MNZ Satellite Cannon

The MNZ Satellite Cannon

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 11:35 am

I am running a version with destiny engine and Zero. Miracle helps to banish more frogs. Only problem? I NEVER draw Sea Lancer xD.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion67
Drunken Master
Drunken Master
Scorpion67

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 4:22 am

Nice job mate Wink and btw the pojo build is good for the garbage can. All the decks can be good ( good dont mean godlike) but it all depends on the build and the player.
Back to top Go down
NotSoGallantGallade
Absol
Absol
NotSoGallantGallade

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 4:52 am

The MNZ Satellite Cannon wrote:
I am running a version with destiny engine and Zero. Miracle helps to banish more frogs. Only problem? I NEVER draw Sea Lancer xD.
I've seen a couple people run a sort of Hero engine with the deck, either with Destiny Heroes or having just a bit of E-Hero stuff and adding Super poly and Zero. personally, I just side into the Super poly and Zero when facing Heroes.

Scorpion67 wrote:
Nice job mate Wink and btw the pojo build is good for the garbage can. All the decks can be good ( good dont mean godlike) but it all depends on the build and the player.
Thanks, Scorp.

Methinks I'll definitely go into detail on another article about decks, even though I posted the link to the thread on pojo here. Just wanna give my opinions and such on... stuff.
So yeah, look for it later? When I'm not being lazy or hanging out with my friend today. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SirFunchalot

SirFunchalot

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 5:38 pm

Number 96: Black Mist is incredibly helpful in this deck, mostly because it's super easy to play and gives you outs to big things that are normally rather hard to take down (I play one over the 3rd Gachi Gachi)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gachi + Poseidon = This?   Gachi + Poseidon = This? Empty

Back to top Go down

Gachi + Poseidon = This?
Page 1 of 1