Duelist's Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGame mechanics I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Game mechanics

Go down 
+5
Harper7000
Scorpion67
Magicknight94
coolchemist2001
King007
9 posters
AuthorMessage
King007
Nostalgic Tourney Organizer
King007

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Can some one clearely explain to me what are game mechanics and tells me in what situations do they intervene with monsters effects.

But particularly with goblin zombie, if i send him to grave coz i used him as synchro material, does its effect activates ?
Back to top Go down
coolchemist2001

coolchemist2001

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 12:32 am

Game mechanics are related to the way the game functions. The term "game mechanices" itself is not important to know if you know what those mechanics are. For example, the fact that optional trigger effects miss the timing if the trigger wasn't the last thing that happens is part of the game mechanics. Another, simpler, examle is the fact that damage step comes at the end of an attack and that you can't activate many cards during that step.

Regarding your more direct question: Goblin Zombie's effect is mandatory (it doesn't say you can add, it says: "add"), so when it goes from the field to the grave (in any way, even if it decides to jump there on its own) you still get the search effect.
Back to top Go down
King007
King007

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 1:00 am

coolchemist2001 wrote:
even if it decides to jump there on its own

LOOOL, u made ur point there xD

so if it's mandatory then i get the effect, then what about optional effects ?
i had this problem when i dueled some one, who uses frogs, he summoned this monster who equips removed from play frogs to himself. i destroy this monster and his equiped monsters go t grave, one of the equips was poison frog or some thing that lets u draw a card when sent to grav, he used its effect but then an admin was watching and said no, since it was sent by game mechanics then it doesn't get his effect,and an other admin confirmed his ruling aswell.

i didn't understand what that meant so i'm asking here xD maybe u can take off from the example i just stated and explain Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Magicknight94

Magicknight94

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 3:11 am

Its effect can be actived if the last thing happen is sent Frog to grave.

Oh, please! DN admin! Human being!
Back to top Go down
Scorpion67
Drunken Master
Drunken Master
Scorpion67

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 3:32 am

Poison frog

If poison frog is attacked and semt to the grave you draw a card cuz the last thing that happens is him going to the grave and he his deatroyed by a physical attack.

If poisom frog is sent to the grave by substiroad ypu dont draw. Why? Substitoad effect is mandatory so he starts a chain and oprional effects miss the timing when an effect starts a chain.

Now your exemple. The monster that poison frog was equiped to is destroyed. Ppison frog is destroy but how? Is he deatroy by atack, by effect? No. He is deatroy cuz the rullimg book says that when a monster iss destroy the equip card is also destroy and this is game mechanic

Hope I helped but chemist actualy explained bery well
Back to top Go down
Harper7000
Chaosking
Chaosking
Harper7000

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 3:50 am

You didn't read it right Scorp Razz. It says "If this face up card on the field is sent to the graveyard EXCEPT by being destroyed by battle while facedown, you can draw one card from your deck." So unless I'm mkstaken he could have drawn, since the monsters would have gone to the grave simultaneously so it wouldn't miss timing. Btw what monster equips banished frogs o_O?
Here's another example of game mechanics. Let's say I'm dueling someone who equips 3 equip cards to a monster (this has happened more than once lol). The monster's atk is really big so I use Smashing Ground on his monster. It's game mechanics that when the equipped monster is sent to grave, the equip cards are destroyed as well. He can't use Starlight Road to negate Smashing, even though it will technically destroy 4 of his cards. The others go to grave because of game mechanics, not because of me.
Back to top Go down

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 3:54 am

How about this for game mechanics screwing you over?

Normal Summon a Monarch in the middle of the chain. Begin to rage. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://tdga.forumotion.com/
Scorpion67
Drunken Master
Drunken Master
Scorpion67

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 4:12 am

Lol didn't even read his effect i'm ppstimg from my phone XD thx for reminding me his exact effect bit it will mis the timing. I remember that in the frog ftk format all the judges agreed that he miss the timing while when tributed by substitoad and his effect is not realy different than that dragunity tuner that always miss the timing when he is destroyed by game mechanics.
Back to top Go down
LegendaryFrost

LegendaryFrost

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 4:17 am

VioletSk227 wrote:
How about this for game mechanics screwing you over?

Normal Summon a Monarch in the middle of the chain. Begin to rage. Very Happy

This would never, ever happen in a million years unless Konami decides to screw the games original rules and kill us all D:
Back to top Go down
Harper7000
Chaosking
Chaosking
Harper7000

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 4:34 am

See Substitoad is different though. He's tributed and sent to the graveyard, sure, but that's a cost to special summon another frog, so him being sent to grave wasn't the last thing to happen and he would miss timing. If he's equipped to a monster, wouldn't they be sent to the grave at the same time?
Back to top Go down
LegendaryFrost

LegendaryFrost

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 4:40 am

Scorp that tuner u talking about is aklys, as for if they are destroyed at the same time, by an effect of say, Black Rose Dragon, then the equip would get it's effect since all cards were considered destroyed simultaneously. But when that dragunity equipped to let's say Legionnaire, is sent to grave cuz legionnaire was RFG'ed to summon Levyithan(name prolly isn't spelled right) then aklys wouldn't get it's destruction effect since it wasn't technically destroyedbut sent to grave by those good ol' game mechanics.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion67
Drunken Master
Drunken Master
Scorpion67

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 4:41 am

Nope. The 1st that happens is the moster attacked is sent tp the grave. Then the equip is sent to the grave by game mechanics.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion67
Drunken Master
Drunken Master
Scorpion67

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 4:45 am

@frost : black rose is no game mecanic its an effect that destroys everythimg
Back to top Go down
Harper7000
Chaosking
Chaosking
Harper7000

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 5:00 am

But still the equip was the last thing to hit grave though then. Remember poison draw frog says sent and not destroyed. Frost knows that brd isn't a game mechanic, he was just showing how akyls does and doesn't miss timing.
Back to top Go down
King007
King007

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 7:51 am

lol i opened the gate of valhala here xD

Tell me: who is right and who is wrong ? Razz
Back to top Go down
Minako

Minako

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 8:19 am

Guys, poison draw frog says "when" not "if" that's why he misses the timing. If he's equiped to something and he goes to the grave then he'll activate if it's the last thing to happen.

Also card effects>game mechanics. If a card instructs you to do something that is normally illegal then the card overrides the rules. Like certain cards allow you to normal summon more than once per turn, others allow you to change the battle position of your monster (ignoring if you had attacked, changed the position of that monster, or summoned the monster that turn.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.worldduelingacademy.com/
Scorpion67
Drunken Master
Drunken Master
Scorpion67

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 8:30 am

Ok let me pit it this way haper you will umderstand. Evrything that is mandatory and is deatroyed by game mecanics will get his effect and optionals effect will miss

Exemples

Therr is a dragunity that take a dragon in ypur grave. If he eqips ladd and he is deatroyesd by battle, ladd will resolve cuz it is a mandatory effect.

If the same monster equips aklys, aklys will miss even if the last thing to happen is aklys being destroyed.

Sorry to don't know the drag monster name bit I dpnt play gay decks so I dont remember their names
Back to top Go down
Harper7000
Chaosking
Chaosking
Harper7000

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 9:08 am

But why? That doesn't make sense and I've never heard that before. If it was the last thing to happen why would it miss timing? If you can back it up with a ruling that's cool but idk...I think Minako and I may be right here
Back to top Go down
Minako

Minako

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 am

Scorpion67 wrote:
If the same monster equips aklys, aklys will miss even if the last thing to happen is aklys being destroyed.

Scorpion is just confused I think. If aklys is sent to the grave while equipped to a monster then his effect goes off. However if the monster is destroyed then aklys is destroyed by the game mechanics and isn't actually equipped at that time. Therefore he won't get his effect as he has to be sent while equipped. It actually has nothing to do with missing the timing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.worldduelingacademy.com/
Scorpion67
Drunken Master
Drunken Master
Scorpion67

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 11:09 am

Yeah I'm probably the one confused, I wana see what johnboi thiks abou this tho. I wana ask to some judges tomorow at locals and I will post what they told me about it. I'm almost sure it misses, but I'm human, I do mistakes sometimes.
Back to top Go down
coolchemist2001

coolchemist2001

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 11:34 am

The monster that king refered to is Sea Lancer. It can equip banished things, including aqua, to itself.

It (apparently XD) is well known that Seal Lancer and Poison Frog do work together and poison gets the +1 if it is sent to grave as part of Lancer's effect.

Now, the more interesting issue is game mechanics and Poison Frog: To be honst if that lancer is to be destroyed (and say i'm too lazy to use his protection effect), i don't see why Poison frog wouldn't get the +1, cuz game mechanics or not, the last thing to happen (or one of the last things to happen) is Poison going to grave.
Back to top Go down
j0hnb0i
Admin
Admin
j0hnb0i

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 6:39 pm

poison draw frog should get it's effect. if, like you guys said, it is equipped and the equipped monster leaves the field, game mechanics destroys draw frog. and since that's the last thing to happen the effect goes off and doesn't miss the timing.

and minako pretty much summed up the aklys thing. =b
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Game mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Game mechanics   Game mechanics Empty

Back to top Go down

Game mechanics
Page 1 of 1