Duelist's Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHow To Build a Competitive Deck I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How To Build a Competitive Deck

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scorpion67
Drunken Master
Drunken Master
Scorpion67

How To Build a Competitive Deck Empty
PostSubject: How To Build a Competitive Deck   How To Build a Competitive Deck EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 3:21 am

This is an old guide i made about how to make a competitive deck but i never updated it, i want to post it so people can post and update it cuz im kinda lazy lately. So this is the guide.

How To Make A competitive Deck

Well this thing is maybe the most important thing to know in yugioh. Some players get this wrong and thats why they dont get the results they want during a duel so today we are going to see all the steps to take to make a competitive deck Cool

lets Do this with a well known deck. The Zombie Diva

1st step : The Deck Idea

the 1st thing you need is a deck idea. The best way to have one is to stydy a deck archtype. The deck archtypes must be checked very well before building a deck. The main idea in zombies is swarm the field till you get brionnac. When brionac is out you still mezuki, Deep sea diva and plague spreader zombie will continue helping you to swarm the field. So Brionac cleans the way for an OTK. Thats the main idea of a zombie diva deck.

lets analyze the Zombie Engine :

- 1 Zombie Master : his effect is use to swarm the field and to drop PSZ or to SP Sumon him, depends on the situations.

- 2 Goblin zombies ( main searcher of the deck and gives hand advantage )

- 1 Mezuki ( a free sp sumon whil in the grave and swarm the field for OTK's )

- 1 Plague spreader Zombie ( Staple in zombies and self explanatory )

- 1 spirit Reaper ( Versatile monster and searchable )

- 2 Mystic tomatoes ( can search for thos small zombies and are able to sp sumon goblin

zombies and sangan. Those are used as tribute for Caius for a +1 or even +2 card avantage

- 2 Pyramid Turtle ( same as tomato but not a dark so can help to not fill the grave with so many darks, and gives you goblin on the field for a diva or a plague and start OTK )

This is the zombie engine and it canot be changed. If your going to build a Zombie diva, a Zombie Tele-DaD this is your main engine. So now you need to build the rest of the deck around it. If you take a close look at your engine, the engine is made mostly from searchers and monsters with swarming abilities. Those sp sumon abilities will be support by Ciaus and 4 tuners. Why 4 tuners, because zombies swarm like beasts and you get advantage of your synchro materials.

Now that we have an engine ( Engine is the 1st thing you need to set in a deck ) we will now place the tuners.

- 2nd Step The tuners : Like i said before, this deck swarm like a crazy so lets use the best tuners to suport it

- Deep Sea Diva : Maybe the best tuner with goblin zombie. Dive gets another diva on the field ( Zombies need more than 1 tuner in the turn they synchro ). the main synchro material in this deck is Goblin zombie. When you synchro diva and goblin, your main target is brionac, then goblin zombie go search for mezuki, you drop mezuki with brionac eff. Then use mezuki effect on goblin and you have a 2nd synchro on the field because you still have a diva on the field.

- Blackwing Gale The Whirlwind : ( a support tuner here. Gale is one of the most anoying tuners in the game. Most of the competitive decks use this tuner. You can use it to blow the field with a blackrose and if your synchro material is a goblin zombie, you gat hand advantage )

Now we have the engine and the tuners. Now its the time for the support cards.

- 3rd Step the support monsters : Now that we have our engine and our tuners and we know exactly what we want to do with our deck, we will now choose osme monsters that will help us to get rid of some big threats on your opponent side of the field. This deck is mostly dark, so lets start with the main support cards for dark oriented decks

- GORZ - DAD - TRAGO :

These 3 monsters ar ethe main Dark support monsters, DaD can win the duel by himself. Tragoedia and Gorz are OTK stopers and can make you come back in the game. these 2 monsters are so versatile that i cant really explained all they can do because i can fill a complete article with those 2 alone so you will experience it during duels Cool

- Caius The shadow Monarch : One of the best suport monsters here. Caius is just the best monarch in the game and he can get rid of big threats. The zombies have big swarming abilities so you will always have a monster to tribute for him ( try to tribute goblin

zombie or sangan if possible )

- Sangan : Prety much a staple card, and sangan is another searcher. Monsters with searching abilities give you hand advantage and hand size is important during a duel so thats why i choose him over any other dark support monsters here

now we have the main idea of the deck and the support cards let see how it looks like on paper.

Monsters 20

1 Tragoedia
1 Dark Armed Dragon
1 Gorz Emissary of Darkness
3 Caius
1 Zombie Master
1 Mezuki
2 Mystic Tomato
2 Pyramid Turtle
2 Goblin Zombie
1 Blackwing - Gale The Whirwind
1 Sangan
1 Spirit Reaper
1 Plague Spreader Zombie
2 Deep Sea Diva

Pretty strong huh ?

- 4th Step the stapple seplls and traps : The most important step to build a competitive deck is ,maybe this one. Staples are not call staples for nothing, if people call them like that its because they are a must in a competitive deck. This is what almost all beginer players forget about and this is crucial for a deck to be competitive.

Staple spells and traps

Spells :

- Heavy Storm
- Mysticak Space Typhoon ( we dont use continous Spells or traps )
- Brain Control
( Book of Moon if you run some it depends on the player )

Staple Traps :

- Bottomles Trap Hole
- Mirror Force
- Torrential Tribute
( Trap Dust Shoot depending on the player, but one of the best traps )

Staple cards must be puted before the support cards. This decides if your deck is going to be competitive or for casual play!!!after putting your stapple spells and traps, now its the time to put the support

- 5th Step Support Spells and traps

- Foolish Burial : ( you can drop Plague, Goblin zombie, Mezuki and you can use it if you miss dark monsters for DAD the is so many combos with it you need it

- Burial from a D.D : This is your main support card. This card can give give you OTK's ( check the zombie OTK Strategy ) and bring your mezuki and plague back !!!

- Mind Control : While plague is in your graveyard, you can steal an opponent monster and take him as synchro material. Mind also helps for OTK's

- Gold Sarcophagus : This card simply gets DAD or Burial Fromm D.D or any card you will need in 2 turn. you need to make the good choice

- My Body As A Shield : all the zombie players know that when Brionac hit the field, its almost game so you dont want your opponent to play BTH or torrential on it. use this card to protect him !

- Book of Life : Almost a staple cards for zombies. Self Explanatory

Traps :

- Return From the diferent Dimention : This card is maybe the best traps in a zombie deck. Since brial from DD got limited, i was searching for a another support card for zombies that can create an OTK and this one is probably the best for them. It give you a chance to re use mezuki and plague spreader zombie ( and even morre if some monster ehre hit by BTH, Caius or D Prison )

- Call of The Haunted : Self Explanatory

- Solem Judgement : Same As MBAAS but this card gan also get rid of big threats like a so sumon you dont want on the field because it can screw your plans.

Now lets check the result :

Monsters 20

1 Tragoedia
1 Dark Armed Dragon
1 Gorz Emissary of Darkness
3 Caius
1 Zombie Master
1 Mezuki
2 Mystic Tomato
2 Pyramid Turtle
2 Goblin Zombie
1 Blackwing - Gale The Whirwind
1 Sangan
1 Spirit Reaper
1 Plague Spreader Zombie
2 Deep Sea Diva

Spells 13

1 Heavy Storm
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Burial From a Different Dimension
1 Allure Of Darkness
1 Brain Control
1 Mind Control
2 Gold Sarcophagus
2 My Body as a Shield
2 Book Of Life
1 Foolish Burial

Traps 7

2 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Mirror Force
1 Torrential Tribute
1 Call Of The Haunted
1 Return From the different dimension
1 Solemn Judgement

Extra Deck ( Staple extra deck for zombies )

1 Armory Arm
1 Catastor
1 Magical Android
1 Goyo
1 Brionac
1 Revived King Ha Des
1 Doom Kaiser Dragon
1 Gaia The force Of Earth
1 Black Rose Dragon
1 X-Saber Urbellum
1 Colossal Fighter
1 Stardust Dragon
1 Dark End Dragon
1 Tought Ruler Archfiend
1 Mist Wurm

So thats how you make a competitive deck. You need to follow all this steps in order. This is just an exemple of how to make a competitive zombie deck, but the steps are the same for all the decks ( Exept special win decks ). And one big thing, use the best cards for your main strategy. dont use situational cards. those cards may result in a dead draw.

PS

Note that this is the way to build a fast swarming OTK Deck. Most of the decks in Yugioh can be builded this way but osme other decks dont. Let me precise wich decks dont use that building way

AGRO / BEATDOWNS

Beatdown decks dont use lot of traps. Those decks are oriented on the attack and they dont use Deffensive traps like BTH, Solemn Judgement, Mirror Force ETC. They use lot of destructive spells and draw power instead. Why will you need defense when you have 3000 atk beaters, your attack become your defense in that case.

some Decks also dont need tuners and wont use synchro. In that case you skip the tuners Step.

Well this is where i stoped the guide cuz like i said, Lazyness is getting over me recently. Well i hope it helped osmeone and if osmeone can help me finish it i will really appreciate Cool
Back to top Go down

How To Build a Competitive Deck
Page 1 of 1