Duelist's Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeTrance Archfiend I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trance Archfiend

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
infernal_archmage

infernal_archmage

Trance Archfiend Empty
PostSubject: Trance Archfiend   Trance Archfiend EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Is Trance Archfiend's effect a cost?
Back to top Go down
Bronnco

Bronnco

Trance Archfiend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trance Archfiend   Trance Archfiend EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Nope. "You can discard 1 Fiend-Type monster and have this card gain 500 ATK." The word "and" is the key word to look out for. It implies that both actions happen simultaneously at the resolution of the effect, whereas the word "to" would imply the first action as the cost while the following action is the effect that happens at the resolution.
Back to top Go down
infernal_archmage

infernal_archmage

Trance Archfiend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trance Archfiend   Trance Archfiend EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 5:03 pm

okay, i thought so, thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Harper7000
Chaosking
Chaosking
Harper7000

Trance Archfiend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trance Archfiend   Trance Archfiend EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Bronnco wrote:
Nope. "You can discard 1 Fiend-Type monster and have this card gain 500 ATK." The word "and" is the key word to look out for. It implies that both actions happen simultaneously at the resolution of the effect, whereas the word "to" would imply the first action as the cost while the following action is the effect that happens at the resolution.
mhm. this is Dark World's friend Razz
Back to top Go down
TheRuler

TheRuler

Trance Archfiend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trance Archfiend   Trance Archfiend EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 6:42 am

Also, adding to Bronncos, If it would be :"Discard One Fiend-type monster. This card gains 500 ATK, until the End phase...." It would be a cost Smile
Back to top Go down
j0hnb0i
Admin
Admin
j0hnb0i

Trance Archfiend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trance Archfiend   Trance Archfiend EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 8:17 am

actually ruler according to Problem-Solving text, the way you wrote it out would make it part of the effect and not the cost. putting a semicolon would indicate that part of it would make it a cost.

so something like: "Discard one fiend-type monster; this card gains 500 atk...etc" would make it a cost

=b
Back to top Go down
Harper7000
Chaosking
Chaosking
Harper7000

Trance Archfiend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trance Archfiend   Trance Archfiend EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 8:20 am

j0hnb0i wrote:
actually ruler according to Problem-Solving text, the way you wrote it out would make it part of the effect and not the cost. putting a semicolon would indicate that part of it would make it a cost.

so something like: "Discard one fiend-type monster; this card gains 500 atk...etc" would make it a cost

=b
Lightning Vortex is a cost Razz
Back to top Go down
TheRuler

TheRuler

Trance Archfiend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trance Archfiend   Trance Archfiend EmptySun Dec 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Yea, I've always been told that they are costs Very Happy

Lightning Vortex wrote:
Discard 1 card. Destroy all face-up monsters your opponent controls.
Back to top Go down
j0hnb0i
Admin
Admin
j0hnb0i

Trance Archfiend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trance Archfiend   Trance Archfiend EmptyMon Dec 26, 2011 9:35 am

with older cards like lightning vortex yea if it's written like that it is a cost but i said with problem-solving text. haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trance Archfiend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trance Archfiend   Trance Archfiend Empty

Back to top Go down

Trance Archfiend
Page 1 of 1