Duelist's Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeI went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably I_icon_mini_portalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
NotSoGallantGallade
Absol
Absol
NotSoGallantGallade

I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably Empty
PostSubject: I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably   I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 10:12 am

Yuuuuuuuup, I went to a regionals, my second ever and first in a year or so. I just got back from an insane day of trying to find my way home, so I'm a little hazy, but here's what I've got, just for the sake of putting something on the site!

Friday: I take a train up to Kissimmee, then walk 2 miles to the hotel because I couldn't bring my bike. Ugh.

I stay up until 11:30 trying to figure out one situation: Effect Veiler. I had been on the fence about maining her for a while, and going into the regionals I didn't like any of the matchups I was likely to face if I had her in main, besides the waning Prophecy and possibly Dragunity Ruler being a decent matchup. After much deliberating, I stuck her into the side, and replaced her with the last two cards you see here:

Spoiler:

I liked the idea of using legit traps in the deck, for two reasons:
1. The opponent's not going to blind MST you very often at all, because they'll be saving them for the Abyss-Spheres.
2. Whereas Veiler just stops a threat for a turn, Warning and Break (the two I inserted in Veiler's place) plus the TT legitimately get rid of the threat. Like, if I was staring down a Crimson Blader, I'd much rather have the Break to get rid of it than a Veiler to stop it temporarily and pray I draw into an out.

Otherwise, it's almost the exact same as the build I posted earlier.

Saturday, game day:
I arrive early after a bus to get down to the site, and end up third in line for registration after some power walking once the doors opened. I quickly fill out my decklist and open one of my five entry packs... and staring me in the face is an Armades. SCORE!
From there I tear open the rest a bit later (pulled the Bujin Xyz. Not bad), and turn around to see a guy with a DuelistGroundz shirt. YAY. I go up and introduce myself, and recognize his user (as well as another couple guys'), so I get +10 legitimacy points.

Side note before I begin: DGz guy told me he'd heard a lot of people were playing burn today, and I myself had heard two people asking about trading for Final Countdowns and one guy wanting Rainbow Life, so I promptly took the 2nd Raigeki Break I had sided and inserted a Trap Stun instead.

R1: Little kid.
There was nothing notable about this match except for one thing.
HE DROPPED TIME WIZARD ON ME.

R2: Evilswarms
I had spent about 15 minutes trading with this guy before the tourney, so I knew what he was playing. Nice guy, definitely.
G1: He draws a lot of S/Ts and just a couple monsters (welcome to Evilswarms!). I Warning his attempt at an Ophion, and later when he Catastors I get around it with an Abyssgaios.
G2: Even more S/Ts and even less monsters! We get to a point where he has a Fiendish on my Pike, a Kerykion, and 4 backrow to my Pike and about 4-5 cards in hand. I SS Aqua Spirit, which gets him to Torrential and Pandemic his Kery. I chain my own Torrential, and he yet again Pandemics his Kery. I let it go, with 4 of his 5 S/Ts now gone, and from there I go Megalo and Gunde on his SS to bring out my Teus, and later go Gaios. He tries Compulsing it, and Trap Stun saves the day!

2-0

R3: Mirror
G1: I open with the Bahamut-Trite-Ocea combo, but he hammers past it and slowly manages to whittle me down to game (He had 400 left to my 1500, but he had just enough).
G2: We go into time on my first turn, and thusly I end up dumping my hand a bit to go Dracossack. I swing over his Pike for 1000, and after a turn of back and forth I set a Gunde, plus have Dracossack and a token. Hooooowever, I forgot to bring out two more tokens, and thusly he barely runs me over for game. So, instead of 2-0-1, I'm 2-1.

R4: BEWDragon Rulers
He pushed my shit in. That's all there is to it. I drew horrendously, and he had quick outs to my side-ins G2. Nothing I could do but prolong the inevitable.

2-2

R5: Blackwing
I'm a good bit tilted by this point, for sure, and I was quite slouchy in my posture.
G1: I battle through backrow and him opening with stuff like Allure, Icarus, Shura and Whirlwind.
G2: Again, he has a full backrow and I can't get anything going. He sharked me a tiny bit here, and that threw me off my game even further.
G3: I drew like shit and he beats me down behind ANOTHER FULL BACKROW JESUS H CHRIST.

2-3

R6: Constellars
G1: Pleiades keeps bouncing my only defenses late-game.
G2: I keep his resources low with Atlanteans and a well-timed Dark Hole.
G3: I open with two MSTs, and use them both in pretty decent situations: one to blast a Tenki he was trying to bounce to hand with Pleiades, and the other to stop a Vanity's from bitchslapping my Megalo. Marksman does work from there and I finally get back on the rails.

3-3

R7: Battlin' Boxers
Probably my favorite match of the day, just cuz the guy was really upbeat and chill. Both of us were joking the entire game.
G1: It starts slow, with me having no plays and him having 3 backrow and me trying to figure out what he's playing (I was actually thinking he was using burn). I get aggressive the minute I draw Megalo, though, and he quickly scoops after I do a bunch of fancy Pike-Turge recycling. Also, I manage to catch a glimpse of a Battlin' Boxer Counterblow before he does so, so I know what I'm up against.
G2: He opens with Lead Yoke and two backrow, while I have, luckily, Trap Stun, Infantry and Dark Hole. However, my only other live monster is a Pike, and once I get the Lead Yoke out of materials he makes ANOTHER LEAD YOKE. However, I Sphere into Linde into Turge to recycle Infantry, and soon get both of them off the field (also, he was reading Mirror Force on me, which I don't even run). A couple turns later I do some fancy Pike/Gunde plays and end up with Pike and two Lindes on the field. I draw another water (making it two plus a Megalo in hand), activate Trap Stun, SS Megalo and push for game... and he reveals a D-Prison AND a Mirror Force face-down, negated by my Trap Stun! Not bad for a card that I threw in last-second for BURN DECKS!

4-3

R8: Frognarchs
Okay, actually, my guy dropped and the guy next to me using Frognarchs had a no-show, so we played each other and had a nice conversation. We ended up splitting, 1-1, with the difference being my ability to go Abyss Dweller G2 to halt the Treeborn for a turn. He E-Conned the next turn to grab my Gaios and slam Dweller, but he had nothing left but a Fader or two.

5-3

R9: Prophecy
G1: He opens up nutty as hell, and quickly dismantles Trite/Bahamut/Angineer. I stall for a good bit with Pike/Turge/Gunde, but I don't have anything for a power play and my resources are quickly nil.
G2: His hand isn't the best, and I sense this and overpower him the best I can to force G3.
G3: Again he opens godly and even uses World's nuke this time, and I draw like garb and can only stall for a couple turns before he runs me over with World.

------------------

Oh yeah, and in case I didn't mention, I just got this deck IRL on Monday. I hadn't done a lot of legitimate playtesting (just facing a guy's BEWD-ish deck a couple nights before), so I was actually pretty fine with how I did (especially cuz I was a bit out of practice. Locals here suckkkkkkkk I need a car so I can go to Tampa). Definitely happy I chose this over the Fists, though, and next time a tourney comes around here I'm definitely expecting to at least come close to nabbing my invite.

...I have no conclusion otherwise. Guts made me post this (I wasn't gonna post a mediocre x-4 otherwise XD) and I'm tired as hell.

...thanks for reading?
Back to top Go down
http://ffgtfgtr.deviantart.com
gutsberserk
Berserk
Berserk
gutsberserk

PostSubject: Re: I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably   I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 6:16 pm

This guy went 5-4 without playtesting, which is amazing considering that his weakness, like mine, is in-game play. He didn't misplay too often nonetheless and even made some advanced moves.

He went there, competed and had fun. I like reading reports like this one. Because it shows what DD is all about.

For me Gallade is THE (average) Duelist.( until he becomes pro Razz Wink)
Back to top Go down
NotSoGallantGallade
Absol
Absol
NotSoGallantGallade

PostSubject: Re: I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably   I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 4:31 am

Umm... I don't need your brag for me, especially for me going a pretty mediocre x-4, but thanks? XD
Back to top Go down
http://ffgtfgtr.deviantart.com
gutsberserk
Berserk
Berserk
gutsberserk

PostSubject: Re: I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably   I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 7:07 pm

I don't brag, I'm proud of you. Next time I'll help with the playtesting and you'll do better
Wink
Back to top Go down
{TP} Simply Logic

{TP} Simply Logic

PostSubject: Re: I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably   I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Good Job i like reading these tournament reports. Haroer posted one but took it off.
Back to top Go down
NoUserName
NoUserName

PostSubject: Re: I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably   I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 3:03 am

I enjoy knowing you're in Florida and we never get to see each other .-.

Nonetheless, glad you had fun! I couldn't go because of work :/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably   I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably Empty

Back to top Go down

I went to Kissimmee Regionals and Didn't Fail Too Miserably
Page 1 of 1